The Casey Miller Memorial Nursing Scholarship was created in honour of a fellow nurse & patient Casey Miller. Casey lost her life in 2021 following a near decade long battle with brain cancer. Casey was a huge advocate for furthering education and was constantly encouraging her own disability support staff and nurses to further their careers.
To keep Casey's dream alive, Port Macquarie Disability & Nursing Services have created the Casey Miller Memorial Nursing Scholarship. A scholarship of $6,000 is available for applicants from rural NSW who are undertaking first year studies of a Bachelor of Nursing degree in 2022.
You can apply for the 2022 Casey Miller Memorial Nursing Scholarship if you:
- are employed as an Assistant in Nursing or Disability Support worker
- are an Australian citizen or permanent resident living in NSW
- are enrolled or enrolling in your first year of an Australian Bachelor of Nursing degree in 2022
- have lived in a rural location in NSW for more than five years, within the last ten years
- are intending to practice in a rural location as a registered nurse when you complete your studies
Applications open on 9th August 2021 and close 9th October 2021.
Late applications will not be accepted.
All applications must include an essay and supporting documents.
Write a 250-to-500-word essay response to the question:
Why do you wish to become a nurse and what could you offer your own rural community?
* Confirmation of enrolment in an Australian Bachelor of Nursing degree in 2022.
You must upload an official confirmation of your enrolment in an Australian undergraduate nursing course in 2022. This document must show:
- your name
- the name of the course
- the year of study and a list of the subjects you have enrolled in for 2022 - generic information about course subjects will not be accepted.
- if your enrolment confirmation is unavailable at the time of application, please attach confirmation of your application for entry and as soon as your enrolment confirmation is available email it to email@example.com. Enrolment confirmation must be received by 1 March 2022.
* Letter of support
You must include a letter of support from a person who knows you, which reflects your rural background, your character and desire to practice nursing or in a rural setting in the future. This letter cannot be completed by a family member. An appropriate person could be:
- a recent employer
- a high school principal or senior teacher
- a health professional or minister of religion
- an office bearer in a community or sporting organisation that you are involved in.
Documents must be uploaded to your application in MS Word or PDF format.
You must complete your application online via the application form at the bottom of this page and attach your essay and supporting documents.
We recommend that you prepare your essay and have all supporting documents ready before you submit your application online. You can't change your application once it has been submitted.
When your application is submitted. you'll be sent a unique application ID number by email. Keep a record of this number to provide a reference for any additional supporting documents or if you need to enquire about your application.
You'll find out the outcome of your application by the end of October 2021.
No. This scholarship is only offered to people from rural NSW who are doing first year studies of a Bachelor of Nursing degree in 2022.
DNS Care Group Pty Ltd is funding the scholarship and will manage the application and selection process with a panel of 4 judges. Their decisions are final and no correspondence will be entered into.
If successful, and all your supporting documents have been received by DNS Care Group's education department, your scholarship offer will be emailed by the end of October 2021. Payments won't be processed until the confirmation of your enrolment is received.
If you are unsuccessful, you'll also be emailed by the end of October 2021.
If successful, you will be awarded a scholarship of $6,000 in total. $2,000 will be paid each year of your degree.
Evidence of minimum grade of a pass in all subjects is to be produced prior to the following years payment to be made.
We base the funding on the enrolment information that you supply. The EFTSL on your enrolment indicates whether you are a full time or part time student. To be considered a full time student your EFTSL must add up to 1.00.
Payments of $2,000 will be made in January of each year, for 3 years. Payments cannot be made into credit card accounts.
Your scholarship funding is for educational expenses directly associated with your undergraduate nursing, such as accommodation, living expenses, text books and course fees. DNS Care Group does not require receipts, however you should keep these for taxation purposes.
If you defer or withdraw from your course or change the number of subjects being studied during 2022, you must inform DNS Care Group in writing within seven days. After a review of your individual circumstances, you may have to repay all or part of your scholarships.
Scholarship funds are available to cover all subjects in your course once only. No funds are available if you fail a subject and need to repeat the subject.
No withholding tax has been deducted. Please get independent tax advice on implications.